Saudi Arabia closes embassy in Syria
Thursday 15 March 2012
Saudi Arabia says it has closed its embassy in Damascus and pulled out its diplomats and staff as Syrian President Bashar Assad steps up attacks against the opposition.
The kingdom has become one of the leading Arab supporters of the Syrian rebels and has appealed for international efforts to study ways to provide aid and weapons to anti-Assad forces. The embassy closure was announced late yesterday on the official Saudi Press Agency.
Saudi Arabia is a main regional rival of Iran, which is a close ally of Assad.
Last month, the Gulf Cooperation Council proposed that all Arab League nations withdraw their ambassadors from Damascus. The GCC includes Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and the United Arab Emirates.
Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Stuart Baggs dies: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
Prince Charles branded a 'serial hypocrite' after flying less than 70 miles to attend polo match
Jeremy Corbyn silences critics with response to the accusation that he's unelectable - video
- 1 Stuart Baggs dies: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
- 2 As the world mourned the death of Cecil the lion, five endangered elephants were killed in Kenya
- 3 Amazon Prime - how to cancel: after Top Gear hiring, instructions on how to leave premium service
- 4 What is halal meat and why is it controversial?
- 5 Living in Spain and commuting to London 'cheaper than actually working in London'
£35 - £50k DOE: Guru Careers: A Tax Manager / Accountant (ACA / CA / CTA) is n...
£17000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Several opportunities to join t...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working in a small, busy team s...
£26000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This award winning IT Support c...