Weekend work: Time to plant daffodil bulbs and lift carrots
Saturday 06 October 2012
What to do
Continue to plant daffodil bulbs to naturalise in grass. The best tool for this job is a long-handled bulb planter. Deep yellow 'Golden Harvest', creamy white 'Mount Hood' and the pink-tinged 'Mrs RO Backhouse' all continue to flower well after 10 years in the ground.
* In a wild flower meadow, stick to species or near species such as the Tenby daffodil, Narcissus pseudonarcissus obvallaris, (£4.50 for 10 from Ron Scamp at Quality Daffodils in Cornwall, 01326 317959, qualitydaffodils.com) or the white N. cyclamineus 'Jenny' (£7.50 for 10). Both grow to about 50cm. Bonemeal added at planting will help them to compete on more equal terms with grass.
* Lift main crop carrots and store them in buckets of damp sand or sawdust in a cool place inside. Some varieties such as 'Chantenay' and 'Autumn King' stand well in the ground, but may need a loose mulch of straw later on if they are not to be solidly frozen in situ.
What to see
* The Royal Horticultural Society celebrates autumn harvests at its London show next week with smoothly elegant onions, perfect pears and plenty of English apples to taste. The show is open Tuesday (10am-8.30pm) and Wednesday (10am-5pm) at the Horticultural Hall, Vincent Square, London SW1P 2PE; admission £5. For more information go to rhs.org.uk/shows
Life & Style blogs
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Junior Web Developer / J...
£35000 - £36500 per annum: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator (SharePoint) -...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: We are currently recruiting...
£30000 - £37000 per annum + attractive benefits: Ashdown Group: .NET Developer...