Tartan gets a soft new look for autumn, with subtle shades of heather, duck egg, sage and mist – so much easier to live with than the real McKilt.
Wool fabrics make the best statement but synthetics are cheaper, of course. Add velvet, damask and chenille to up the cosy ante. Or mix with bright new-season prints on cotton/linen for fashion fun.
1. A budget tartan armchair from Tesco is made in the UK with a beechwood frame. The Lausanne measures 85cm high by 75cm wide by 91cm deep. The price in this linen-look fabric is £299, or pay an extra £100 for leather. Free fabric samples on request. Also pictured is a large oak chopping board for £18, an oak cookbook holder, £10, and an oak rolling pin, £12. Buy online from tesco.com, call 0800 323 4050, or visit Tesco Extra.
2. The soft, dignified check of this inviting two-seater sofa seems to suit this period interior to perfection. Called Erskine Plaid, in teal, it costs £95 per metre. Other cushion fabrics pictured here cost between £41 and £95 per metre. All by decorating brand Colefax & Fowler. See colefax.com or call 020 8877 6400.
3. Runners soften a staircase and/or a corridor. This is Quirky Fling, costs £99.80 per metre (80/20 wool/nylon), and is 69cm wide, with a selvedge on each side. Lengths can be joined for a rug or fitted carpet. Colourways include natural, duck egg, damson and lime. Made by Alternative Flooring. Call 01264 335111.
4. Scented with essential oils, these ANTA candles, from £26, come in stoneware pots, hand-painted in the Highlands, that can be reused as beakers when the flame goes out. anta.co.uk
5. In soft blue/grey check with touches of pink, this Victorian-style sofa has piped scroll arms, plump piped seat and back cushions, and dark-stained, turned legs. Made to measure in Northumberland by old-established Delcor, which will alter any dimensions or style details, and guarantees hardwood frames for 50 years. From £1,678. Showrooms around the country. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0191 237 1303.Reuse content