Wednesday 04 June 2014
Here at independent.co.uk we want to make sure that by joining our community of users for whatever reason, whether to comment on our content or receive a more tailored experience, you are clear about what you are signing up for. So we are making this commitment to all of our users:
- We will always let you know what information we’d like about you, why we’d like it and what we do with this data.
- We will always give you something back for doing this.
- We will always make sure that you are in control of your information.
Code of conduct and complaints
Competition terms and conditions
Advertising terms and conditions
External contributors: Terms & conditions for freelancers, bloggers and contributors of user-generated content
Work experience terms and conditions
Corrections and Clarifications
Transparency and clarity of information
- So we can monitor what our users are looking at. This can tell us which of our channels are the most popular, or when users are looking at the Website the most or what devices you are using to watch video. We can tell using your registration information and by using cookies a bit more about you and your interests. If we overlay this insight onto user habits we can make sure we develop new content that we know you will be interested in and that fit your lifestyle.
- So we can make your experience of using the Website simple and enjoyable. By remembering who you are when you come back to the Website we can let you share content with your friends without joining again or display content to you which we know you are interested in.
- So we can audit the Website using anonymous data collected to tell us how many visitors are using the Website, for how long and where they are coming from.
We also sell advertising on the Website, which enables us to give you access to all the content on independent.co.uk for free. By making the advertisements more relevant to your viewing preferences, lifestyle or your interests they should hopefully be more compelling and work better for the advertisers!
What do you get back?
When you sign up for independent.co.uk you opt in for some great benefits. From finding out what’s recommended reading each week with our range of email newsletters or entering competitions for the chance to come along to some of our events or to win great prizes.
We will keep you in touch with these benefits as they develop with the Website. We are hoping to add in a lot more that can give you more of a tailored experience.
You’re in control
Please rest assured we don’t sell your personal details on to anyone else. We will not bombard your inbox with emails you haven’t asked for. If you decide you’d like to change your preferences, you can alter these by managing your account page or through your social network provider. You can also contact us to ask us questions or easily find out answers to common queries in our policy pages in this section of our Website.
We want to make independent.co.uk a vibrant, engaging and essential experience for all our users. By being part of this you can help make this aim a reality. We are relying on your feedback and support. So we can deliver a website that truly becomes an important part of your daily life.
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
- 1 iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
- 2 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 3 Alton Towers Air breaks down: 80 people stuck on broken down Monorail during heatwave
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government