Cricket: Burge increases pressure on Atherton
Sunday 23 October 1994
What has cricket come to? What he did was, and still is, a mystery. No one has given me a satisfactory explanation.' On Atherton's reaction at The Oval, for which he was fined pounds 1,250, Burge says: 'When Mike Atherton picks up his bat after being given out lbw and hits it with his hand that is dissent because he's telling 16,000 people 'this bloke has made a mistake'.
Umpires should not have to cop that.' Keith Fletcher, the England coach, was not best pleased. 'I don't think a match referee should make any further comment on his decisions,' he said. Australia slumped to a nine-wicket defeat by Pakistan in a one-day international in Rawalpindi yesterday.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...