Football: Gascoigne's Norwegian blue note
Monday 12 October 1992
Gascoigne was approached by the Norwegian NRK network at Bisham Abbey on Saturday, and asked if he would care to send a message to Norway. 'Yes,' he replied. 'Fuck off, Norway'.
Lawrie McMenemy, England's assistant manager, witnessed the exchange, and stepped in immediately. Clipping Gascoigne around the ear, as if he were a naughty child, he said: 'That's a silly remark. He didn't mean it.'
The Norwegian interviewer, Thor Eggen, was placated by the offer of a proper interview with Gascoigne, but the insult was broadcast by NRK last night, and was the headline in the Norwegian Sunday newspaper, Dagsbladet.
McMenemy said: 'Paul did say those words, but there was no malice.' Disciplinary action by the Football Association is possible, but deemed unlikely.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Video of Irish 'professional boxer' fighting Istanbul neighbourhood goes viral in Turkey
- 2 Novel Scarlett Johansson tried to ban, Grégoire Delacourt’s The First Thing You See, to be published in UK
- 3 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 4 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
- 5 Carol Vorderman reveals she is 'covered in burns' after she fell off her treadmill while running naked
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs
£13000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to be part of a ...
£19000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT and Telecoms company ar...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...