Football: Hateley's Hull look forward to trip to the Palace

Click to follow
Mark Hateley, the Hull City player-manager, urged his Third Division strugglers to savour their return leg with Crystal Palace after Tuesday's surprise 1-0 Coca-Cola Cup victory at Boothferry Park.

Duane Darby's goal midway through the first-half gave the Tigers a second- round first leg lead to take to Selhurst Park. Hull's biggest crowd of the season - just under 10,000 - celebrated at the final whistle as though they had already finished the job. Now Hateley wants his players to enjoy their second leg battle with Steve Coppell's Premiership outfit.

"We will go there and try and pass the ball," vowed Hateley. "What comes out of that we'll see but I'll tell them `don't let it pass you by'."

The Huddersfield manager Brian Horton applauded his side after their 1-0 first leg win over West Ham at the McAlpine Stadium, and then admitted he wished his side could repeat their Coca-Cola Cup heroics in the league.

Town are rooted to the foot of the First Division table without a league win this season and Horton said: "I wish the Coca-Cola Cup was the league because we'd have seven points now."

Huddersfield take a slender advantage to the second leg at Upton Park thanks to a 75th-minute goal from Alex Dyer, who said: "There was no pressure on us because everyone expected us to lose, but we battled hard and it went well."

The West Ham manager, Harry Redknapp, said: "We're at home in the second leg and the tie is still pretty evenly balanced."

Blackpool, who knocked out Manchester City in the first round, take a 1-0 advantage to Coventry for the second round return leg thanks to David Linighan's 76th-minute goal at Bloomfield Road.

Barnsley staged a stunning fightback to beat last year's FA Cup semi- finalists Chesterfield 2-1. The Tykes equalised in the 87th minute via a Neil Redfearn penalty before Ashley Ward grabbed a winner deep into added time. Tony Lormor had given the Spireites a 58th-minute lead, also from the spot.

Reserve team striker Chris Freestone saved Middlesbrough's blushes at the Riverside by scoring the only goal against lowly Barnet from Robbie Mustoe's 56th-minute cross.

Mick Stockwell salvaged a draw for Ipswich Town with a last-gasp equaliser against the Third Division outfit Torquay at Portman Road.

The Third Division leaders Peterborough set themselves up for another giant-killing in the return leg by drawing 0-0 at First Division Reading.

Paulo Cesar Wanchope scored on his first appearance of the season to send Derby into their home leg against Southend United with a useful 1- 0 lead. Wolves' new signing Jesus Garcia Sanjuan marked his debut in English football with the only goal in the 1-0 away win at Fulham.

The West Bromwich manager Ray Harford returned to old club Luton and saw his striker Bob Taylor earn Albion a point with a 35th-minute effort to cancel out Stuart Douglas' 24th-minute opener.

Tranmere belied their dreadful league form by winning 2-0 at Notts County courtesy of Gary Jones and David Kelly.

Gareth Farrelly scored his first goal for Everton to give them a 1-0 victory at Scunthorpe while another Premiership side, Bolton, beat Leyton Orient 3-1 courtesy of goals from Andy Todd, Per Frandsen and John McGinlay.

Wimbledon slammed five past fellow-South Londoners Millwall, with Carl Cort scoring two to add to his first goal for the club against Newcastle on Saturday.

Peter Kennedy gave the Second Division leaders Watford a lifeline by conjuring a late equaliser against Sheffield United at Vicarage Road. Chris Waddle's Burnley woes continued as his side were beaten 4-0 by Stoke at home.

Sunderland's Michael Bridges celebrated his first start of the season by scoring the 56th-minute winner against Bury at the Stadium of Light.