Football: Liverpool make move for Citko

Click to follow
The Independent Online
The future of Stan Collymore at Anfield may come under threat if Roy Evans' attempts to sign the Polish international Marek Citko bear fruit. The Liverpool manager has set up a pounds 2.5m deal for the 22-year-old Widzew Lodz striker, who is due to arrive in Liverpool today for talks.

The developments come a month after Citko turned down Blackburn Rovers, saying he wanted to stay in Poland and become a priest. Instead, it seems, his vocation may lie at Anfield.

Nottingham Forest have taken their spending to pounds 5.5m in the space of 72 hours with the pounds 1m signing of the striker Ian Moore from Tranmere Rovers. It follows the arrival on Monday at the City Ground of Celtic's Pierre van Hooijdonk for pounds 4.5m.

Moore, the son of the former Tranmere player Ronnie Moore, shot to prominence last season when he scored in five successive League games. He has five England Under-21 caps.

A deal has been struck between Brighton's co-owners Bill Archer and Greg Stanley and the prospective buyers of the Third Division club, led by Brighton-born businessman Dick Knight. Details of the deal have been held up for legal consideration.

Peter Schmeichel is set for another round of talks with his legal team before stating whether he is prepared to heal his rift with Ian Wright. The Manchester United goalkeeper, who has refused to comment, met with the club's solicitor, Maurice Watkins, yesterday after the publication of a letter from the FA imploring both players to make up.

West Ham's Welsh international defender Mark Bowen is to join Ossie Ardiles's Japanese side, Shimizu-S-Pulse, for pounds 1m.

Les Ferdinand will miss Newcastle's Uefa Cup quarter-final second leg tie in Monaco next Tuesday after aggravating a hamstring strain in Newcastle's 4-3 defeat by Liverpool on Monday.

Bournemouth are nearer to closure after their major creditor, Lloyds Bank, rejected a takeover bid of more than pounds 1m from a consortium of supporters and local businesses.

Lincoln's Terry Fleming has been banned for three matches after giving a team-mate's name to avoid being sent off. Fleming gave the name of Tony Dennis to referee Paul Taylor when he was shown the yellow card for the second time, and stayed on the pitch during the Third Division match against Wigan last month.

Coventry's manager, Gordon Strachan, and the winger John Salako have resolved their differences. Strachan angered Salako by replacing him 20 minutes into his comeback against Leicester at the weekend, when he came on as a half-time substitute following a back injury.