Joseph Minala: Italian FA confirms Lazio player is 17, not 42
An African website had reported that the midfielder lied about his age
Thursday 29 May 2014
An official Italian Football Association investigation has concluded that Lazio youth player Joseph Minala is 17, and not in his 40s.
"The federal prosecutor has examined the reports of the allegations and decided to dismiss the case in the light of concrete evidence over the age of the player Joseph Minala," said the FIGC in a statement.
"There are no doubts about his age. He is 17."
African website senego.net reported in February that Minala, who is from Cameroon, was really 42 and had altered his passport, something the player denied in a statement on the Serie A club's website.
Minala made his Serie A debut against Sampdoria in April and made two further appearances last season.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'