Joseph Minala: Italian FA confirms Lazio player is 17, not 42
An African website had reported that the midfielder lied about his age
Thursday 29 May 2014
An official Italian Football Association investigation has concluded that Lazio youth player Joseph Minala is 17, and not in his 40s.
"The federal prosecutor has examined the reports of the allegations and decided to dismiss the case in the light of concrete evidence over the age of the player Joseph Minala," said the FIGC in a statement.
"There are no doubts about his age. He is 17."
African website senego.net reported in February that Minala, who is from Cameroon, was really 42 and had altered his passport, something the player denied in a statement on the Serie A club's website.
Minala made his Serie A debut against Sampdoria in April and made two further appearances last season.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss