Sampdoria deny Ronaldo interest

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Sampdoria have denied reports emanating out of Brazil suggesting they are keen to offer Ronaldo a route back into football.

The Brazil striker is currently recovering from a career-threatening knee ligament injury in his homeland with Flamengo but is keen to resurrect his career in Europe.



The former Real Madrid and AC Milan frontman has been linked with several clubs in the Premier League and Serie A.



However, Sampdoria claim they have no interest in signing the 32-year-old former world player of the year.



"Ronaldo? Absolutely not," said club director Giuseppe Marotta.



"I will deny this categorically. He doesn't interest us at all.



"I read Siena are after him and thus you should look at that because he is not near to our club at all."



Elsewhere, AS Roma coach Luciano Spalletti has dismissed suggestions that his side will struggle to qualify for the knock-out stages of the Champions League.



Wednesday's 1-0 defeat at Chelsea was their second in three rounds of European games this season and the struggling Italian side are now level on points with Bordeaux at the bottom of Group A.



"It's a difficult moment, we didn't play badly, but we never had that little bit of luck to help score," claimed Spalletti.



"We still have a chance to go through. I liked the spirit I saw tonight."



Meanwhile, Internazionale coach Jose Mourinho admitted he was satisfied but far from delighted with the 1-0 Champions League victory over Anorthosis Famagusta.



Inter are now three points clear at the top of Group B after Brazil striker Adriano's decisive 44th minute strike.



"I agree it was not a fantastic performance tonight," said Mourinho.



"Although, in the situation and looking at the result we are very comfortable in the group and can be satisfied.



"This last week was not an easy one as many were away on international duty, especially the Brazilians and Argentines."



In Serie A, Torino coach Gianni De Biasi could be axed should they lose Saturday's derby with Juventus, according to reports coming out of Italy.



De Biasi saved Torino from relegation last season but the Granata currently find themselves languishing in 17th place in the Serie A table after winning just one of their opening seven league games.



The 52-year-old's future was thrown into serious doubt following last weekend's 1-0 defeat to Cagliari, with reports suggesting he could be sacked should Juventus prevail in the Saturday evening derby meeting at the Stadio Olimpico.



Meanwhile, former Italy coach Roberto Donadoni has been installed as the favourite to take the reins should De Biasi's third spell at the Torino helm be ended.



Donadoni has been out of management since his Azzurri contract was not renewed at the end of Euro 2008.

Comments