Sion docked 36 points
Saturday 31 December 2011
Sion yesterday described the decision of the Swiss Football Association (SFV) to dock them 36 points for fielding ineligible players as a "cowardly act".
The SFV had been threatened with expulsion from all competitions by Fifa if it failed to punish member club Sion, who were kicked out of the Europa League by Uefa earlier this season after fielding players they had signed during a transfer embargo imposed by Fifa in 2009.
Fifa would have imposed a blanket ban on Swiss football if action was not taken by 13 January. Sion have been docked three points for each of the 12 matches in which any of the six ineligible players appeared.
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Latest in Sport
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police