United fail their final task as Barça conquer Europe
Players let me down says Ferguson after Catalans win Champions League
Thursday 28 May 2009
The Championes chant which echoed around this Roman stadium last night belonged to the followers of a different side. "Campions" is the Catalan spelling and Barcelona are unarguably the masters of the Continent.
Sir Alex Ferguson, denied his 36th trophy and one which he knew would put Manchester United on new and elevated ground, made it plain that he felt some of his players had failed him against a side managed by an individual 29 years his junior. "It was a big opportunity and with the players we have we expected better at the end of the day," said the United manager, who was indignant when asked to confirm that the 2-0 defeat had not lessened his desire to lead his club on next season. "I don't understand that question on a night like this. I don't like that stupid bloody question," he said.
Gracious in his praise for a Barcelona side he said were one of the best United have faced in Europe, Ferguson was clearly distressed about the way his side defended, with Nemanja Vidic at fault for the first goal, on 10 minutes, and Rio Ferdinand deceived by the ball's flight for Lionel Messi's second 20 minutes from time.
"In our best performances this season we've defended very well," said Ferguson. "Tonight our defending was shoddy, especially the first goal which game them a boost. It was the first goal that told, that's for sure, and it gave them the opportunity to keep possession as they do very well. We didn't plan to concede that early but it's a fact and we didn't deal with it well enough. That's the story." Ferguson also lamented his side's failure to "do anything with possession".
Andres Iniesta and Lionel Messi caused both Michael Carrick and Anderson, substituted at half-time, substantial problems, and Ferguson said he felt the absence of the suspended Darren Fletcher greatly. "I thought before the game it may have been a problem, he is a big-game player, but they had players missing too."
Cristiano Ronaldo began well, shooting four times in an opening 10 minutes during which Barcelona could not gather possession, but he ended the game ignominiously, hacking twice at Carles Puyol, and was cautioned for the second offence.
Ronaldo implied afterwards, in an interview with Portuguese TV, that United's tactics had been wrong. "We only had 10 minutes and then they scored and we never found ourselves again. We didn't do well. The tactics were not good and everything went wrong," he said. Whether he will be back at Old Trafford to discuss that with Ferguson next season remains to be seen – yet again. Asked if he would be with United come August, Ronaldo replied: "I don't know."
Wayne Rooney paid tribute to Barcelona as "probably the best team in the world" – and Iniesta – "the best player in the world right now".
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
Latest in Sport
Ashes 2013/14: England’s Ashes shambles is uglier than ’06 whitewash
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1 match report: David Moyes powerless to prevent dismal defeat
Liverpool 4 West Ham 1 match report: Luis Suarez gives England more to fear
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1: Champions haven't got a clue
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant