Lampard flagged up father's joy
Monday 01 June 2009
Frank Lampard's corner-flag goal celebration will have struck a chord with the West Ham fans who boo him so enthusiastically: it was in honour of his father's most famous goal for the Upton Park club.
Frank Lampard senior scored the winner against Everton in the FA Cup semi-final replay in 1980 at Elland Road and, socks down in the all-white away strip of the Hammers, he celebrated by running around the corner flag.
His son said: "It was just for my dad. My dad scored against Everton many years ago and he ran round the corner flag, albeit in a semi-final. It was the proudest moment in his career and so it was just a little thing for my dad."
In his autobiograpy, Lampard cited his father, who was well known as an ardent self-improver in his own playing career, for pushing him on. As a young player Lampard senior bought himself a pair of running spikes and did short sprints on his own every day to improve his speed and power, a drill the passed on to his son. "He was ahead of the game," Lampard wrote. "He had a vision of how football was going ... he told me I had to increase my pace and strength."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us