Luis Suarez bite: Liverpool striker claims Giorgio Chiellini 'bumped into him with his shoulder'
Uruguay striker appeared to bite the Italy defender
Luis Suarez has played down the the alleged biting incident involving Giorgio Chiellini, claiming the Italian defender "bumped" into him with his shoulder.
The Uruguay striker appeared to sink his teeth into the Italy defender during their Group D encounter.
While the referee failed to take any action at the time, Fifa have indicated they will review the incident and if found guilty Suarez could face a ban of anything up to two years. He is certainly likely to be ruled out of the rest of this World Cup.
In a post-match interview with Uruguay’s Channel 10, Suarez, who has been found guilty of biting twice previously, claimed: "These are just things that happen out on the pitch. It was just the two of us inside the area and he bumped into me with his shoulder, and that’s how my eye got like this as well."
Read more: Italy 0 Uruguay 1 match report
Vine: Did Suarez bite Chiellini? Decide for yourselves...
Suarez's most controversial moments of his career
Uruguay won the match against Italy 1-0 to ensure their place in the knock-out phase of the competition.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Manchester United player ratings: Match-winner Eden Hazard leads the way, but Radamel Falcao endures game to forget
Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0: Eight things we learnt as Blues step closer to the Premier League title
Louis van Gaal gives increasingly intense interview as irritation with BBC grows following Manchester United defeat to Chelsea
David Moyes: I had to fight to STOP Wayne Rooney leaving Manchester United to join Chelsea in 2013
Arsenal transfer news: Mikel Arteta needs 'five minutes' to sign new contract and remain with the Gunners
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Ben Affleck asked TV chiefs to hide slave-owning ancestry, new hacked Sony emails published by Wikileaks claim
- 3 Driving while dehydrated can be just as dangerous as drink driving, study suggests
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 One Direction: Louis Tomlinson launching his own record label, has already 'signed two acts'