Micah Richards withdraws from Under-21s
Thursday 26 May 2011
England Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce today confirmed that Manchester City defender Micah Richards has withdrawn from the England squad ahead of the UEFA European Under-21 Championship in Denmark.
Richards, 22, has 14 Under-21 caps, including the 2009 European Championship final defeat to Germany, but will not add to his tally over the summer after suffering a hamstring injury that will see him sidelined for some time.
It will be seen as a further disruption to Pearce's squad after he left Andy Carroll and Jack Wilshere out of his 23-man party - although he will confirm a replacement for Richards to complete the squad before the June 1 deadline.
Latest in Sport
MK Dons 4 Manchester United 0: Emmanuel Frimpong and Edin Dzeko lead the jokes as the internet reacts to humiliating defeat
Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
Manchester United transfer news: Daley Blind will only move for 'top price'
Arsenal vs Besiktas match report: Alexis Sanchez scores only goal as Gunners survive night of nerves to qualify for Champions League
Champions League draw: When is it and who could Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City face in the group stage?
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'