World Cup 2014: Need to make a prediction for the action in Brazil? Ask one of these animals
After Paul the Octopus' death a number of mystics are looking to fill the void
We all remember Paul the Octopus, who memorably predicted 11 out of 13 matches correct across Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup.
But following Paul’s death in 2010, a void has been left in the psychic animal world and number of mystics and clairvoyants are fighting to take his place.
They have come from all corners of the world, from the deserts of the Middle East to the south pole, and make their home the land and the sea.
With the World Cup due to start tomorrow, millions of people will be hoping for a sign that it might be their year.
Led by a colony of Penguins from Birmingham, we look at the contenders to Paul’s crown and one who tried and failed.
Read more: Raheem Sterling set for No 10 role in England opener
Roy Hodgson now faces the biggest challenge of his long
Greg Dyke tells Sepp Blatter he's damaging the image of football
Let's hope one of these animals backs England.
Ahead of the opening game between host's Brazil and Croatia tomorrow, a loggerhead turtle called Big Head at a Brazilian sanctuary "predicted" that Luiz Felipe Scolari's men will prevail.
The turtle was given the option of eating either a fish hung from a Brazilian flag or a Croatian flag.
Those in charge of the turtle experiment stressed the prediction was just a bit of fun.
Presents unwrapped, turkey gobbled... it's time to relax
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Play-acting mystifies me. I was taught not to show pain
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Nani transfer: No future for winger at Sporting Lisbon as club cannot afford his wages when loan deal with Manchester United runs out
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Tottenham Hotspur vs Partizan Belgrade match report: Spurs go through in Europa League - but pitch invaders grab the attention
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship