The worst ever January transfer signings, including Fernando Torres, Andy Carroll and Eric Djemba-Djemba
In all the desperation for new recruits, comical decisions are made
Charles Reynolds is a freelance writer and journalist specialising in sport and the arts. He writes the Premier League previews for The Independent online and writes regularly for The Sport Review.
Friday 17 January 2014
January is a time when managers start to look at the table and wonder about their own prospects. And the fear of failure can lead to some comical decision making, at a time of the most pressure.
Sky-high prices and the lack of availability of the best talent mean that managers make some left-field purchases in the transfer window.
Usually either desperate to avoid relegation or eager to try and pick up some silverware, the January window is often a fairly hectic time for a manager and inevitably mistakes get made.
So here for your viewing is a selection of some of the biggest blunders, the footballing faux pas made by a whole host of managers.
The gallery of the worst January transfers is below...
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict