The worst ever January transfer signings, including Fernando Torres, Andy Carroll and Eric Djemba-Djemba
In all the desperation for new recruits, comical decisions are made
Charles Reynolds is a freelance writer and journalist specialising in sport and the arts. He writes the Premier League previews for The Independent online and writes regularly for The Sport Review.
Friday 17 January 2014
January is a time when managers start to look at the table and wonder about their own prospects. And the fear of failure can lead to some comical decision making, at a time of the most pressure.
Sky-high prices and the lack of availability of the best talent mean that managers make some left-field purchases in the transfer window.
Usually either desperate to avoid relegation or eager to try and pick up some silverware, the January window is often a fairly hectic time for a manager and inevitably mistakes get made.
So here for your viewing is a selection of some of the biggest blunders, the footballing faux pas made by a whole host of managers.
The gallery of the worst January transfers is below...
Latest in Sport
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Katie Hopkins reported to the police for race hatred by Labour MP Simon Danczuk after tweet about Pakistani men