Frustration for Viduka as return is delayed
Thursday 10 February 2005
The Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka has suffered a setback in his battle against a hamstring injury.
The 29-year-old Australian, who picked up the problem during the 2-0 defeat at Birmingham on Boxing Day, was recovering well but has had to put his comeback on hold.
"Mark was progressing well, but he has suffered this unfortunate setback which has put his rehabilitation back another couple of weeks," said his manager, Steve McClaren. "The most important thing is making sure he is right and fully fit before he can resume first-team football."
Viduka, who has missed Boro's last nine games, had set his sights on the second leg of the club's Uefa Cup game against the Austrian side AK Graz on 24 February, but now faces a longer wait. Boro have won only three of their last nine outings, and only two of them in the Premiership, without the man recruited at a cost of £4.5m during the summer to partner Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
travelFor broadcaster Mishal Husain, a long-haul Club Med holiday was a chance for her family to explore its sense of 'zen' and 'animation'
Latest in Sport
Ashes 2013/14: England’s Ashes shambles is uglier than ’06 whitewash
Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1 match report: David Moyes powerless to prevent dismal defeat
Liverpool 4 West Ham 1 match report: Luis Suarez gives England more to fear
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1: Champions haven't got a clue
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant