Joey Barton and Jose Enrique will not distract Newcastle insists Alan Pardew
Alan Pardew will not allow the ongoing uncertainty over Joey Barton and Jose Enrique to hinder Newcastle's preparations for the new season.
The Magpies boss will send out his side for their first pre-season friendly at Darlington tomorrow night with both men entering the final year of their contracts.
Barton has been told he will not be offered a new deal, while Enrique is in no hurry to reach an agreement despite being presented with a package described by Pardew as "one of the best offers we have ever made a player".
However, with no bid yet on the table for either man, the manager will simply get on with the task of making sure his team is ready for Arsenal's opening day trip to St James' Park.
Pardew said: "The situation is simple: if players don't want to commit to contracts or this is not the contract offer that they wish, there's not much you can do about it.
"But we have a good feeling in the dressing room, we are looking forward to the season and I think we have got a decent side this year."
Barton's situation is somewhat different to that of Enrique with the club having withdrawn the offer they tabled in January after the contract went unsigned.
But Pardew remains as relaxed as he can be over a player who has repeatedly vowed to see out his current deal.
The manager said: "We are at a situation where we will play this season as it comes and we will all sit down at the end of the year, and who knows? We might do a deal then.
"You never know in this game. It's a strange business we are in.
"He's a good player, he's playing well for us and that's all I care about."
Barton, of course, will not travel with the rest of the squad to the United States on Sunday after being refused an entry visa, but Pardew is confident the 28-year-old will make his presence felt with the reserves in Holland before linking up with his senior team-mates once again on their return.
He said: "He's a very important player for us and the example he sets with that group will be first-class.
"I am looking forward to seeing him when I come back and getting him ingrained in the team."
Pardew is continuing his search for a striker - Paris St Germain's Mevlut Erding remains in the frame - and insisting that the £35million the club received from Liverpool for Andy Carroll will be reinvested, although not necessarily in transfer fees alone.
But he has admitted Charles N'Zogbia and Neil Taylor are unlikely to arrive on Tyneside, and had to fend off claims that Chelsea could make a move for Ivory Coast midfielder Cheick Tiote.
Pardew said: "He's a great player who had a great first year for Newcastle. We have heard nothing substantial. The information that we have had about this is purely speculation."
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Latest in Sport
MMA: UFC heavyweights Mark Hunt and Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva in fight for the ages
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive the rivalry - after a shared ice cream in Warsaw
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent