Papiss Cisse rubbishes Newcastle exit rumours
Monday 14 May 2012
Newcastle hotshot Papiss Cisse has dismissed rumours that he could leave the club this summer.
The 26-year-old Senegal international has been a sensation since his January arrival on Tyneside with a return of 13 goals in just 14 appearances, helping the Magpies to an unexpected fifth-place Barclays Premier League finish.
Alan Pardew's men exceeded expectations so spectacularly that speculation is already mounting they may be vulnerable to bids for the likes of goalkeeper Tim Krul, midfielders Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote and strikers Cisse and compatriot Demba Ba from some of Europe's biggest clubs.
However, with Newcastle last week having firmly denied reports that the former Freiburg frontman had issued a "come and get me" plea to Primera Division winners Real Madrid, he has moved to reassure the club's fans.
Cisse told the Evening Chronicle: "I hope to continue scoring goals for Newcastle next season. I'm looking forward to playing in the Europa League.
"We wanted to play in the Champions League, but we can be very happy with what we have achieved this season."
The Magpies headed into yesterday's final day trip to Everton knowing victory could see them finish as high as third and book a Champions League adventure.
In the event, they lost 3-1, but with Arsenal and Tottenham both winning to claim third and fourth places respectively, they would have ended the campaign where they did regardless.
Cisse said: "It's good to be in Europe next season, but I'm sorry for the supporters. We wanted to give them Champions League football. That was our objective.
"We are in the Europa League and I thank God for the season I have had. But we are still a little disappointed."
Latest in Sport
Brighton vs Arsenal: FA Cup match preview
Cristiano Ronaldo vine: Real Madrid forward sent-off for kicking and striking opponent during 2-1 win over Cordoba
What time is the 2015 WWE Royal Rumble on? TV details and full card
Sam Burgess: Bath and England's next big thing
Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 1 Rowan Atkinson to sell £10 million McLaren 'supercar' he crashed into a tree and a lamppost
- 2 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 3 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd