Wolves players to blame for Mick McCarthy exit says Jamie O'Hara
Friday 17 February 2012
Wolves playmaker Jamie O'Hara insists the players have to shoulder the blame for Mick McCarthy's sacking as the search continues today for his replacement.
Former Sunderland boss Steve Bruce is set to be interviewed by club owner Steve Morgan and chief executive Jez Moxey after Alan Curbishley was spoken to yesterday by the duo.
But O'Hara's thoughts are still with McCarthy who was sacked on Monday after a five-and-a-half-year spell at Molineux.
The former Tottenham player said: "It was difficult to see the gaffer leave and the lads were gutted to see him go.
"It's been us who have been putting in the bad performances. He'd done a lot of the club.
"I've only been here a short time but I loved working for him and think he is a fantastic manager.
"I just hope everyone remembers what he achieved at the club. It was hard to see him go and I would wish him all the best.
"I am sure he will go on and do another great job somewhere else."
O'Hara has apologised to the Wolves fans for the 5-1 home mauling by West Brom which sealed McCarthy's fate.
He said: "It was one of those games which hopefully was just a freak.
"Obviously it was a big one of the fans, who were distraught, and we just have to say sorry to them. We fell apart in the second half.
"All the lads heads went down and everyone lost their confidence and the fans lost their confidence in us.
"These things happen even to the best teams, like Manchester United earlier in the season and Arsenal against AC Milan.
"We just need to pick ourselves up and move on."
Morgan and Moxey hope to make an announcement by early next week on the new manager and want McCarthy's successor in place before next weekend's game at Newcastle.
Wolves dropped into the bottom three after the mauling by the Baggies and have taken only 14 points from the last possible 66.
Moxey insists Wolves will not be rushed into finding a replacement for McCarthy, but remains confident the new man will be in place for the February 25 trip to Tyneside.
"Things are progressing," he said. "We are continuing to work to the timetable we indicated at the outset of this process and remain optimistic we will be able to fulfil those requirements.
"Our intention has always been to have a new manager installed in time to take charge of the team for the Newcastle match and that remains the case.
"But I stress - we want the right candidate, not the quick candidate."
Latest in Sport
Liverpool injury news: Brendan Rodgers could be without up to seven players for Burnley game... as Jordon Ibe posts picture of knee brace
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Watch the moment a basketball player reassures a small boy after a mass brawl erupted on court
Jon Stewart brings The Daily Show to WWE Raw as Seth Rollins pays the price for feud with TV presenter
Manuel Pellegrini future: Why Manchester City could turn to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers if Pellegrini is dismissed
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'