Liverpool striker Andy Carroll delays over West Ham move
The England international is keeping his options open
Andy Carroll has postponed making a decision on which club he will play for next season because of the heel injury that will rule him out until the end of July.
Carroll's disappointment at the three-month lay-off and the fact he will miss England's friendlies with Brazil and the Republic of Ireland has led to a postponement of any immediate transfer.
West Ham tabled an offer that will eventually be worth more than £15m on Tuesday but talks between the player's representatives and officials from either his employers Liverpool or the club where he spent last season on loan have still to start.
"We haven't discussed it yet because the blow of missing the England squad is massive to him," said the player's agent, Mark Curtis.
Newcastle were keen for their interest to be downplayed but there is still expected to be conversations with potential buyers and Carroll still plans to speak with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers before deciding where he will start next season. That could yet happen within the next seven days.
The Newcastle manager, Alan Pardew, had expressed an interest in the 24-year-old in the final week of the Premier League season and remains a fan of the player. He wants to sign two new forwards this summer.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers