Thomas Vermaelen distances himself from Arsenal exit speculation
Reports suggested the defender was unhappy at the Emirates
Wednesday 29 May 2013
Thomas Vermaelen has distanced himself from reports suggesting he could leave Arsenal during the summer.
The Gunners captain started the season as Arsene Wenger's first-choice centre-back but ended it watching the late climb to Champions League qualification from the bench.
Vermaelen's time at the Emirates Stadium has been disrupted by injury, but the 27-year-old Belgian denies he could be on the move in the transfer window.
"I'm happy at Arsenal. I didn't play much and that was frustrating, but things can turn around quickly," he told Ad.nl.
"I was on the bench, but I could just as quickly be playing again. I'm working hard to make that happen.
"These are things that happen in professional football. Arsenal are a great club where there is a lot of competition."
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
Latest in Sport
Arsenal can surprise Bayern Munich in the Champions League, says former midfielder Gilberto Silva
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile