Thomas Vermaelen distances himself from Arsenal exit speculation
Reports suggested the defender was unhappy at the Emirates
Wednesday 29 May 2013
Thomas Vermaelen has distanced himself from reports suggesting he could leave Arsenal during the summer.
The Gunners captain started the season as Arsene Wenger's first-choice centre-back but ended it watching the late climb to Champions League qualification from the bench.
Vermaelen's time at the Emirates Stadium has been disrupted by injury, but the 27-year-old Belgian denies he could be on the move in the transfer window.
"I'm happy at Arsenal. I didn't play much and that was frustrating, but things can turn around quickly," he told Ad.nl.
"I was on the bench, but I could just as quickly be playing again. I'm working hard to make that happen.
"These are things that happen in professional football. Arsenal are a great club where there is a lot of competition."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success