Transfer news and speculation, 21 May
Wednesday 21 May 2008
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed that the Switzerland right-back Philipp Degen will sign for the club on a free transfer from Borussia Dortmund when his contract with the Bundesliga club expires on 1 July. The 25-year-old former Basel defender will compete with Alvaro Arbeloa and Steve Finnan for the right-back position at Anfield after he returns from Euro 2008.
Benitez is still awaiting progress on his attempts to sign Aston Villa's Gareth Barry, but with the Villa manager, Martin O'Neill, attending Tommy Burns' funeral in Glasgow yesterday, developments were on hold.
Wenger makes Nasri contact
According to reports yesterday, Arsenal have been in contact with the Marseilles midfielder Samir Nasri. The 20-year-old is believed to have a £13.5m buy-out clause in his contract. Nasri was named in the provisional France squad for Euro 2008 on Sunday and is believed to be viewed by manager Arsène Wenger as a possible replacement for Alexander Hleb. Arsenal have also been linked with the Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani, Sporting Lisbon's Miguel Veloso and the Panama international defender Felipe Baloy, who plays in Mexico with Monterey.
Moyes has eye on City target Jo
Everton Manager David Moyes has been scouting CSKA Moscow's 21-year-old Brazilian striker Jo and might try to beat Manchester City to his signature. Jo would cost around £16m but Everton may initially sign him on loan. He is part-owned by Kia Joorabchian's MSI group and Moyes saw against Lokomotiv Moscow last month.
Davids available on free transfer
Edgar Davids will leave Ajax when his contract expires on 30 June. "It is a pity as I am a boy from Amsterdam and have special feelings for the club," Davids said. "But I don't want to stay at Ajax at any price. I said before that the chance I would stay was not big. I don't know where I will go. There has been interest from domestic and foreign clubs."
Moreno wants more from Spurs
The Bolivia striker Marcelo Moreno has spoken of his delight at being linked with a move to Tottenham. The 20-year-old has sparked interest from a number of European clubs following his impressive displays for Brazilian side Cruzeiro. Moreno claims Spurs are keen, following reports a formal bid has been rejected. He said: "Of course I would like to play in England, but I have to like the place where I will be. The club has to get to an agreement with my agent and from what I know what has been offered wasn't enough."
* Yesterday's completed move: Craig Pead (Brentford) to Port Vale; Free
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Alexis Sanchez video: Turns out the Arsenal forward is brilliant at playing the piano too
Premier League: Chelsea vs West Ham match preview
Sir Alex Ferguson on Jose Mourinho: 'He's good looking, speaks five languages, wins everything - it's unfair'
Jose Mourinho on Sir Alex Ferguson: 'A good friend, a good person, a fantastic sense of humour. I like him very, very much'
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food