Transfer speculation surrounding Darren Bent reignited
Stoke linked with £10m move for the Aston Villa striker
There is renewed speculation over the future of Darren Bent after the striker was substituted at half-time during Aston Villa's 2-1 defeat to Newcastle.
The England striker's removal from the action coincided with a spirited comeback by the home side, leading many to wonder what role Bent has to play at Villa Park in the future.
Last night's game was a rare start for Bent, who has begun just seven Premier League games this season after manager Paul Lambert repealed him to the subs bench and at times omitted him completely from the squad due to 'tactical reasons'.
Numerous clubs have been linked with a move for the striker, who while at times frustrates with his poor all-round play, remains a consistent goal scorer at the highest level.
The Daily Mail reports that Stoke City are ready with a bid of £10m for the 28-year-old. Fulham, Newcastle and QPR have also been linked with Bent, however the report says Aston Villa are not willing to sell to clubs in and around them in the relegation fight.
Stoke strikers Kenwyne Jones and Peter Crouch have been linked with moves to Swansea and QPR respectively, which would provide the Potters with the funds to make a bid for Bent.
Aston Villa could also be open to a sale to provide funds for new signings. Last night's defeat simply highlighted the need for fresh faces and more experience if the Villains are to avoid the drop.
Lambert confirmed after the defeat to Newcastle that funds were extremely limited as things stand.
"I'm not sure the situation [on buying players] has changed from January 1. There have been things we've tried but money dictates a lot of things," he said.
Latest in Sport
Monaco is a street circuit where driver ability is more important than anywhere else and if we take ...
by Gareth Purnell
24 May 2013 02:00 AM
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
McDowell did brilliantly to land the World Match Play title in Bulgaria last week, but it’s a format...
by Gareth Purnell
23 May 2013 09:13 AM
David Moyes delighted after Rio Ferdinand agrees to stay at Manchester United with new one-year contract
Sergio Garcia / Tiger Woods 'fried chicken' racism row takes fresh twist after 'coloured athletes' comment
After racist remark, Sergio Garcia fights for reputation as Tiger Woods slams 'hurtful' fried chicken joke
New Manchester City manager must deliver five trophies in five years
Manchester United slash interest bill by £10m a year
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 3 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 Archaeologists uncover nearly 5,000 cave paintings in Burgos, Mexico
- 5 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.