Transfer talk: Huntelaar sparks interest
Friday 24 July 2009
Huntelaar sparks interest
The Real Madrid striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has moved closer to a move to the Premier League following the breakdown of a proposed transfer to Stuttgart. Huntelaar struggled to settle at the Bernabeu last season and the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema has pushed him towards the exit, with Tottenham and Arsenal linked to him.
Hull chasing Bluebirds pair
Cardiff duo Joe Ledley and Ross McCormack remain targets for Hull, although manager Dave Jones warns the club will not let them leave cheaply. "Phil [Brown, the Hull manager] can look at them," he said. "But if he doesn't pay what the club wants he'll go home empty-handed."
Bruce tracking forwards
Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is close to agreeing a deal for Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh. "I have told Bordeaux I need to go there," the 21-year-old said. "I want to play in the Premier League and Sunderland is a good challenge." Bruce, who this week saw a move for Portsmouth's Peter Crouch break down, is also monitoring the situation of the Tottenham striker Darren Bent, who may be surplus to requirements at White Hart Lane.
Eto'o moves closer to Inter
Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o has agreed terms with Internazionale, as a swap deal involving Zlatan Ibrahimovic moves closer. "The only problem is a loyalty bonus with Barça,"the Cameroonian's agent, Josep Mesalles, said. "It should be settled in a week or so." Swedish forward Ibrahimovic, who injured a hand during this week's friendly defeat to Chelsea, has yet to agree terms with the European Cup holders.
Taarabt returns to Hoops
Queen's Park Rangers have re-signed the Tottenham midfielder Adel Taarabt on a season-long loan. The 20-year-old Moroccan winger made seven appearances during a loan spell at Loftus Road last season after failing to win a first-team place at White Hart Lane.
Bolton agree Ricketts fee
Bolton have emerged as the club close to signing Hull centre-back Sam Ricketts, after the clubs agreed a fee. The 27-year-old also interested Portsmouth, but Bolton are favourites.
Boro strikers set to leave
Gareth Southgate has admitted Middlesbrough duo Mido and Tuncay Sanli are set to leave the club. Neither Tuncay – a target for Spurs and Aston Villa – nor Egyptian forward Mido travelled with Boro to Scotland for a pre-season tour. "Mido would like to move on in an ideal world – as would Tuncay," the Boro manager said. "I'm sure those deals will happen."
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Latest in Sport
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent