Kenya admit to doping problem
Thursday 21 March 2013
The head of Kenyan athletics says he hopes the nation's doping problem remains manageable after two more marathon runners were banned for positive tests.
Three other long-distance runners were suspended for using banned substances last month and there have been claims of a widespread problem. Athletics Kenya secretary general David Okeyo said: "The number is growing and we are not happy about the statistics. We only hope the culprits remain at a manageable level and the [doping] issue is not widespread."
The most recent bans, for two years, have been imposed on Salome Jerono Biwott and Jynocel Basweti Onyancha. Wilson Erupe Loyanae, Nixon Kiplagat Cherutich and Moses Kiptoo Kurgat have also been suspended.
Latest in Sport
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...