Ricky Hatton yesterday confirmed he would be returning to the ring but only 24 hours earlier the former world champion allegedly had a fight with his father Ray that ended with the latter's arrest and subsequent caution.
Hatton had spoken of how when in retirement his life "had turned to mush" and of how he had significant personal problems when adjusting to the end of his fighting career but a source last night alleged that following a heated argument, the two traded punches outside the Hatton Health and Fitness Gym in Hyde.
Police arrived and arrested 61-year-old Ray Hatton on suspicion of common assault, detained him overnight and cautioned him for his violent behaviour. Ricky, 34 next month, was reported to want to press charges over the attack.
Greater Manchester Police said in a statement: "Shortly before 11.45am on Thursday 13 September 2012, police received reports that there had been a fight involving two men outside a health and fitness club on Market Street, Hyde.
"A 33-year-old man was assaulted by a 61-year-old man, who was arrested on suspicion of common assault and subsequently given a police caution.
"The 33-year-old man was not injured in the incident."
When the allegations were put to Ray Hatton last night he declined to comment. Ricky Hatton's agent, Paul Speak, also refused to comment.
The alleged fight follows a period of several months during which, it is claimed, the two have not been on speaking terms and have had at least one other confrontation after a falling out over the handling of Hatton Jnr's financial affairs.
Hatton has suffered a series of well-publicised issues in his private life since his last fight saw him knocked out by Manny Pacquiao in their IBO light-welterweight title fight in Las Vegas.
He insisted he did not want to see those demons tarnish his legacy in the sport, with another world title belt in his sights. He said: "It's been well documented what's happened to me since the last time you saw me in a boxing ring.
"I suffered a two-round demolition to Manny Pacquiao in my last fight and nobody wants to see their career end that way. Consequently it pushed me into retirement which I never really wanted to do, and what happened to me in the last three years came because of what happened to me in that fight and the manner of that defeat."
Hatton was the subject of allegations of cocaine abuse two years ago and within days he was admitted to a rehabilitation facility. Drink and depression were major issues for Hatton at the time.
"I don't want people telling my kids that I blew it," Hatton said as it was announced he would return to the ring on 24 November in Manchester.
"I want my kids to be able to say, 'He was a world champion, he had his problems, but my did he bounce back'. I want people to be proud of me again. I want British sport, my kids and my fans and my friends to be proud of me. I had my problems but I'm over that now and I want people to look at me in a different light. I don't want people to see how I flushed my life away. I understand there'll be people concerned for my welfare and it's nice to know there's so many people care about me, but I think they know why I'm coming back."Reuse content