Racing: Ferguson's Rock ready to cash in as a stallion
Tuesday 12 November 2002
Sir Alex Ferguson yesterday paid tribute to Rock Of Gibraltar as it was confirmed that the horse, who carried the red and white colours of the Manchester United manager to a record seven successive Group One races, has been retired to Coolmore Stud in Ireland.
"As a relative newcomer to ownership I cannot adequately express the pleasure I have derived from the association with such a great horse," Ferguson said. "While I will be saddened not to see him in action on the racecourse I have every confidence that he will transmit his amazing talent and courage to his offspring. I owe an eternal debt to everyone at Ballydoyle."
Winner of 10 of his 13 starts, the colt overtook Mill Reef's 20-year record of six victories at the highest level and amassed £1,269,800 in prize-money. That is only the beginning of his potential earnings as, although his stud fee has not been announced, it is likely to be set at around £60,000 per covering, with a very minimum of 40 coverings per year.
* Polly Gundry, who rode the 3-1 joint-favourite How Ran On and Andrew Tinkler, on 20-1 chance Smart Guy, received 10-day bans for taking the wrong course at Fontwell Park yesterday in the amateur riders' chase. They were in first and second place, and clear of the field, when they veered on to the hurdles course after jumping four fences. Tullons Lane, who led the remaining runners, continued on the correct course to land the spoils at 25-1.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal players boo chief-executive Ivan Gazidis after being told they would not get bonus for FA Cup triumph
Liverpool transfer news: James Milner nearing Anfield switch, but club baulk at £32.5m Christian Benteke release clause
Fifa corruption: Europe plots to stage an 'alternative World Cup' in place of Russia 2018
Betting company 'refuse to pay' after student wins £1,000 from 50p bet on Roger Federer
Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
- 1 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
- 3 Ann Summers survey reveals the UK's favourite sex position
- 4 Jaden Smith wears gender fluid dress to high school prom with Hunger Games actress
- 5 How much sex should I be having?
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Why this year's general election was the most unfair in Britain's history
£12675 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Assistant is required...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Trainee Case Handler/Probate ...
£24000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: These refrigeration specialists...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an operational role and...