WWE Extreme Rules 2014 results: How did Daniel Bryan, The Shield and Cesaro get on?
The results from WWE's first major event since WrestleMania 30
WWE returned last night with the first major event since Daniel Bryan's sensational WrestleMania triumph one month ago. Here we round up the results and key storyline developments.
Extreme Rules Results:
* The pre-show “weeLC” Match: El Torito defeated Hornswoggle. This could have been on the main card, it was that good. Surprisingly good, even. A number of tables were destroyed and a few ladders were used, mainly due to interferences from Los Matadores and 3MB. El Torito delivered a springboard senton through a miniature table on Hornswoggle for the win.
1. Cesaro defeated Rob Van Dam and Jack Swagger (Elimination match). Swagger was the first to be eliminated after receiving a Five Star Frog Splash from Van Dam. Cesaro then picked up the win after a Neutralizer onto a trash can to Van Dam.
2. Alexander Rusev defeated R-Truth (two-on-one handicap match). Xavier Woods didn't really have a huge part to play in this match so the “handicap” aspect of the bout was never really in play. Rusev won by submission with The Accolade, taking his winning streak even further.
3. Intercontinental Championship Match: Bad News Barrett defeated Big E (c) to become the new Intercontinental Champion. Barrett won the match with a leaping Bad News Bullhammer elbow. Here's hoping the Championship is treated with the respect it deserves from now on...
4. The Shield defeated Evolution. Roman Reigns speared Batista for the pin. Probably shaded the “weeLC” match in terms of quality and spots. Took place throughout the arena and featured yet another dangerous spot from Seth Rollins when he dived off the balcony.
5. Cage Match: Bray Wyatt defeated John Cena. Bray Wyatt won by escape. The Wyatt Family, as expected, constantly interfered throughout the match. Cena lost the match after being distracted by a singing child with a strange voice. Met with a confused reaction, to say the least.
6. WWE Divas Championship Match: Paige (c) defeated Tamina Snuka. Paige won by submission with the modified Scorpion Crosslock.
7. Extreme Rules Match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Daniel Bryan (c) defeated Kane. It all looked to be over for the Champion after Kane set up a flaming table, but Bryan managed to instead send Kane crashing through it. Kane then had to receive attention from men carrying fire extinguishers which led to a distraction and ultimately a running knee from Bryan. 1-2-3, Bryan retains.
Latest in Sport
Newcaslte vs Everton: Latest news and score plus the rest of today's Premier League action, including Manchester United and Chelsea reaction
Arsenal transfer news: William Carvalho to be subject of £20m bid
West Ham 1 Arsenal 2 player ratings: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Andy Carroll? Alexis Sanchez? Who was the star man?
Manchester United defender Luke Shaw renting £3.85m home from Cristiano Ronaldo
Liverpool transfer news: Mario Balotelli’s going nowhere and we don’t want striker
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...