Ballesteros brain operation a success
Friday 24 October 2008
Doctors at Madrid's La Paz hospital have declared Seve Ballesteros' third brain operation a success.
Today's surgery lasted over six hours and was intended to alleviate pressure on the brain caused by by an edema, and to remove remaining tumour tissues.
Ballesteros, the 51-year-old five-time major winner, was diagnosed with a tumour earlier this month and has already had two operations - the second to reduce swelling on the brain.
A statement issued by the La Paz hospital read: "The patient Mr Severiano Ballesteros has been subjected to a new surgery that ended at 1700 today with no complications occurring.
"In the operation, the aims originally planned have been achieved and the edema and the remnants of the tumour eliminated.
"The patient entered the operating room of the neurosurgery service at 0830 for the preparation and process anaesthetic and the intervention began at 1030.
"It has involved three neurosurgeons, two anaesthesiologists and three nurses.
"The patient is stable... and is currently under observation in the intensive care unit."
Justin Rose earlier offered words of support to the golfing great.
The Englishman, who had just completed his second round at the Castellon Masters, said all the players were waiting on tenterhooks for further news.
"Everyone is keeping a very close eye on the situation and wishing Seve all the best," said Rose.
"We are all wishing him and his family well.
"I know everyone here is sending their heartfelt best wishes and thinking of him."
Alvaro Quiros, who won the Portugal Masters last week, echoed Rose's sentiments, adding: "We can't help him with words, that won't be enough.
"It is not in our hands and all I can say is good luck to Seve and I hope he recovers."
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Latest in Sport
Luke Shaw arrives a week early for Manchester United pre-season training after cutting short post-World Cup holiday
World Cup 2014: The 50 best players of the World Cup
PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Brazil vs Netherlands World Cup 2014: A history of the third-place play-offs
Brazil vs Netherlands World Cup 2014: Arrogant Brazilian team may never be forgiven by the fans
- 2 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel