Anonymous 'to target' Canadian Grand Prix
Wednesday 30 May 2012
Cyber-anarchist group Anonymous are threatening another attack on Formula One during next week's Canadian Grand Prix in support of protesting Quebec students.
The internet hacking organisation successfully managed to disrupt the official Formula One website throughout last month's Bahrain Grand Prix.
The attack, under the title of 'Operation Bahrain', was carried out on the basis of what they perceived as "the incredible human rights abuses of the Bahrain regime".
On this occasion Anonymous are firmly behind the students across Quebec voicing their anger against their government's proposed hike in tuition fees, with protests now into their 107th day.
Notably, Anonymous are against perceived human rights injustices following an emergency law introduced on May 18 known as Bill 78 that "restricts freedom of assembly, protest, or picketing on or near university grounds and anywhere in Quebec without prior police approval".
Anonymous have already claimed responsibility for shutting down Quebec government and police websites since the introduction of Bill 78 that has allowed police to act, sending arrests soaring to over 2,500.
In their latest statement, Anonymous feel disrupting the Canadian Grand Prix weekend, one of the most popular events on the F1 calendar, will send out another firm message to Quebec premier Jean Charest.
The statement read: "As we did in Bahrain, Anonymous intends to wreck Mr Ecclestone's little party.
"Beginning on June 7 and running through race day on June 10, Anonymous will take down all the F1 websites, dump the servers and databases and wreck anything else F1-related we can find on the internet.
"We would like to remind anyone considering attending this abominable race that last time Anonymous found all the spectators' personal data, including credit card numbers un-encrypted on F1 servers.
"Anonymous will be among many protesters targeting the Grand Prix.
"A number of students are also set to protest, something that the F1's organisers will be wary of, considering the race could bring around 100million Canadian dollars (£62million) to the area.
"We highly suggest you join the boycott of the F1 in Montreal and we certainly recommend you not purchase any tickets or F1 merchandise online.
"You have been warned."
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever