McLaren sign Stoffel Vandoorne to young driver programme
Tuesday 19 February 2013
McLaren have signed 20-year-old Belgian Stoffel Vandoorne to their young driver programme.
Vandoorne, who won last year's Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0 Championship in 2012, will this season compete in the Formula Renault 3.5 Championship with the Fortec motorsports team.
Vandoorne, described by McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh as "able and ambitious", said: "McLaren is one of the greatest names in global motorsport.
"To be a part of the McLaren young driver programme is an honour and a privilege which I fully intend to do my very best to maximise in terms of both learning and results for years to come."
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture