Nico Hulkenberg switch from Force India to Sauber confirmed
Wednesday 31 October 2012
Sauber have unsurprisingly swooped to sign Nico Hulkenberg who has long been linked with a race seat since Sergio Perez announced his forthcoming switch to McLaren.
Hulkenberg returned to drive in Formula One at the start of the year with Force India after a season as reserve for the Silverstone-based marque.
Prior to that, Hulkenberg had spent a year with Williams, only to be dropped at the end of his debut campaign in 2010 as the team opted to recruit a pay-driver in Pastor Maldonado.
That was despite Hulkenberg taking a superb pole position in trying conditions in the penultimate race of the season in Brazil, which has long remained one of his most eye-catching performances.
The 25-year-old German has continued to impress this season, and with Sauber eager to fill the gap to be left void when Perez departs, they see Hulkenberg as the ideal replacement.
Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said: "We've been observing Nico for some time now, and his performances have been very persuasive.
"That was the case in GP2 and has continued into Formula One. An obvious highlight was how he scored pole at Interlagos in 2010 despite the most challenging external conditions.
"He clearly showed he can seize the chance if it arises. But high spots like that are one thing; systematic teamwork is another, and on that score I have confidence in Nico too.
"I'm sure he will fit in very well with the Sauber F1 Team. We look forward to working together with him."
With three races remaining, Hulkenberg has the edge on Force India team-mate Paul di Resta, with a five-point gap between the duo as the team chase Sauber for sixth place in the constructors' championship.
Assessing his switch to the Swiss-based marque, Hulkenberg said: "It is a well-placed team and very competitive.
"Plus it's a team in which young drivers have repeatedly delivered exceptional performances. I would like to take up that baton.
"The team is currently going through a very positive development and I'm certain that together we can achieve a lot.
"Until that time I will remain fully focused on my job with Force India. I'd like to thank the management at Force India for giving me the chance to return to Formula One as a team driver."
The second seat remains up for grabs, with Sauber to make an announcement at "a later date".
Current occupant Kamui Kobayashi is known to be seeking sponsorship in a bid to hang on to his drive, but faces competition from others who can provide funds.
Manchester United's best XI of the season so far: No place for Angel Di Maria or Juan Mata
Which player sells the most shirts in the Premier League?
WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
Chelsea's best XI of the season so far: Petr Cech has been better than Thibaut Courtois
Chelsea's Eden Hazard, Arsenal's Mesut Ozil and Manchester City's Jesus Navas are the three best attacking midfielders in Europe in 2015
- 1 Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 4 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 5 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans