US GP's comeback delayed until 2013
Thursday 17 November 2011
The United States Grand Prix will not take place as planned next year because of delays in the construction of the track, Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed. The decision brings to an end weeks of speculation over the future of the race, at the Circuit of the Americas in the Texan capital, Austin.
A deal to host the race was agreed by Ecclestone in May last year with promotion company, Full Throttle Productions. The Formula One Commission, the sport's decision-making body, put the race in the calendar for next year at a meeting earlier this month but now Ecclestone has conceded that the track will not be ready. He said: "The [new] contract we proposed to them is 10 years from 2013. We said we would wait for them."
Ecclestone claimed the circuit owners had missed the deadline to sign an agreement to stage the race next year. He added: "I can't solve it." Tavo Hellmund, a long-time associate of Ecclestone and the owner of Full Throttle Productions, said: "Mr Ecclestone has been incredibly patient with the challenges here in Austin. Full Throttle Productions has worked tirelessly to bring the Formula One United States Grand Prix to Austin. It is now the responsibility of the Circuit of the Americas to make this project happen before Mr Ecclestone's patience runs out."
However, on Tuesday, two shareholders in Circuit of the Americas, Red McCombs and Bobby Epstein, released a statement saying building work had stopped because the contract had not been received. The president of Circuit of the Americas, Steve Sexton, insisted: "Funding is secured and construction is on schedule. There is no question that if [Ecclestone] wants the US GP race to happen here in 2012, it will."
A £16m hosting fee for next year's race was due to have been paid to Ecclestone on 31 July, but has still not been received.
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Mario Balotelli takes 50 per cent pay cut to join Liverpool as Samuel as Eto’o waits in the wings if deal falls through
Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
Click here for the full story." title="When a youngster asked for an autograph outside Manchester City's training ground, Balotelli demanded to know why the boy was playing truant. After the child revealed he was being bullied, Balotelli drove the boy and his mother to the school in question so he could tackle the bully himself. He demanded to see the headmaster to make him aware of the issue and then mediated between the two boys to resolve the problem. A source said: 'Mario feels strongly about bullying.' Click here for the full story." width="88" height="52" />Mario Balotelli: The funniest stories
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
- 3 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians