Gymnastics: Multiple directions – do GB5 a boyband make?
Wednesday 01 August 2012
"Britain has a new smash-hit boy band – a five-strong well-muscled group that brought more noise to the O2 last night than Guns N' Roses," roared The Times yesterday after the heroics of Britain's male gymnasts on Monday. But how do GB5 compare in the boy band stakes with the likes of One Direction:
Sam Oldham Home-taught, like Justin Bieber. Shares surname with Mark Owen's hometown. Kristian Thomas Not-as-burly-as-he-looks elder statesman and de facto leader of the group. Clearly GB gymnastics' answer to Gary Barlow. Max Whitlock The "cute" one. "Popular with the girls – and the men," says his girlfriend Leah.
Louis Smith Once got through to the fourth round of The X Factor. Can actually sing.
Daniel Purvis Comes from Liverpool. As do The Beatles. Case closed.
Kevin Pietersen saga: Chris Gayle offers untimely reminder of absent friend
Ashley Cole and Luke Shaw rise to the bait to deny they are the rumoured 'gay England footballer'
Former British tennis No 1 Elena Baltacha told she has liver cancer
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United: Is Wayne Rooney really in Robin van Persie’s way at United?
Robin van Persie: Manchester United manager David Moyes a 'little bit surprised' after striker plays 90 minutes for Netherlands day after being sick
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast