Boccia: McGuires fight for podium with Canada
Tuesday 04 September 2012
Britain's push for boccia medals continues today as the McGuire brothers play off for bronze against Canada, after losing their semi-final against Brazil yesterday.
The precision sport, fairly similar to bowls, is one of the least known in the Paralympics but it is one at which Britain usually excels. Team GB won gold and silver medals in boccia in Beijing and could deliver more success in London in the pairs BC4 event at the ExCeL Centre.
Yesterday Stephen and Peter McGuire lost their semi-final 3-2 to the world No 1 pair of Dirceu Jose Pinto and Eliseu dos Santos. The Brazilians will face the Czech Republic in this afternoon's gold-medal match, after the McGuire brothers play Canada for the bronze at 9am. There is also a British team still competing in the mixed team BC1-2 event.
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent