Winter Olympics 2014: Team USA uniform for Sochi Olympics is a nightmare in wool
Ralph Lauren outfits include braided reindeer hat
Team USA has unveiled its uniform for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, with the Ralph Lauren-designed knitwear being perfect for events like Nipping To The Shops and Watching Chocolat Under A Blanket.
Stamped with a Made in America label, the shawl cardigans are emblazoned with Stars & Stripes within Stars & Stripes and will be worn during the opening ceremony next month.
Bucking the usual synthetic tracksuits, the cardigan has been teamed by Polo with a woollen reindeer hat, cream turtle neck jumper, white sweatpants and black leather boots.
American hockey player Zach Parise models the Team USA uniform (Picture: Reuters)
Despite their uniquely hideous appearance, the uniforms are likely to cause less controversy than those of the London 2012 games, which saw Lauren came in for criticism after it emerged that many of them were made in China.
The company described the new attire in a statement as "a dynamic mix of patriotic references in a classic color palette of red, white and navy."
Team USA will not be winning the prize for the gaudiest uniform at this year's Olympics however - that accolade goes to the deeply snazzy suits of the Norwegian curling team.
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month