Rugby League: Tuuta appeal rejected

Click to follow
(First Edition)

BRENDON TUUTA, the Featherstone loose-forward, has had an appeal against a six-match ban rejected. An appeals meeting in Leeds yesterday upheld the decision taken by the Rugby League disciplinary panel following Tuuta's dismissal for punching in the brawl at Oldham nearly a fortnight ago.

The Sheffield Eagles player, Mick Cook, has been banned for four matches after being sent off for a spear tackle at Salford last weekend. And the disciplinary panel are likely to take action against a team-mate whom they feel was involved in the incident. The Eagles forward Bruce McGuire, also dismissed in the same match for tripping, received a two-match ban.

Barry Williams, one of three Carlisle players given their marching orders against Huddersfield last weekend, was suspended for four games for a blow to the head. The scrum-half Brett Iti (punching), on loan from Bradford Northern, and the stand-off Kevin Fox (stiff arm tackle) were handed four and two-match suspensions respectively.

Bramley's Andy Timson (punching) and the Dewsbury prop Gary Cocks (head tackle) have both received four-game suspensions, while Chris Wilkinson of Swinton faces another one-match ban for playing without paying a fine.

Improving Warrington, looking for their fourth consecutive First Division win tomorow, will give a fitness check to the Welsh international Kevin Ellis (knee) before naming their side to face St Helens. Ellis's fellow countryman Allan Bateman is set to return after missing the win at Bradford, although the prop Bob Jackson is again ruled out.

Saints, who have won their last three games but have lost on their last three visits to Wilderspool, make enforced changes. The forwards John Harrison (groin) and Phil Veivers (ankle) are ruled out, so Mike McClennan recalls the veteran Kevin Ward for his first game since the February cup defeat at Wigan. Gus O'Donnell takes over at hooker and Bernard Dwyer switches to the second row.