Clijsters unworried by rematch with Petrova
Friday 21 January 2011
Kim Clijsters, the favourite to win the women's singles title here at the Australian Open, has a chance tomorrow to erase the memory of her biggest defeat in a Grand Slam tournament. For the second year in succession the 27-year-old Belgian faces a third-round meeting with Russia's Nadia Petrova, who 12 months ago crushed her 6-0, 6-1.
Clijsters, who beat Spain's Carla Suarez Navarro 6-1, 6-3 yesterday, insisted that the memory of last year's defeat would not trouble her. "I don't think I've ever played a match like that, so it was very easy in a way to also forget about it," she said.
Jelena Jankovic became the highest-profile loser so far when she lost 7-6, 6-3 to China's Peng Shuai. The No 7 seed led 4-1 in the first set but then her game fell apart as her errors multiplied. Vera Zvonareva, the world No 2, survived a difficult patch against Serbia's Bojana Jovanovski before winning 2-6, 6-3, 6-1.
* Jocelyn Rae will replace the injured Laura Robson in the British Fed Cup team to play in Israel next month. She will be joined by Elena Baltacha, Anne Keothavong and Heather Watson. Meanwhile, the Lawn Tennis Association has confirmed that Eastbourne will continue to stage the Aegon International pre-Wimbledon event until 2013.
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Ian Herbert: Work still to do before this Liverpool can be compared to class of ’08
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
- 1 Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police