Djokovic flies off to visit his sick father
The season is over for Novak Djokovic but the globe-trotting goes on. The new Barclays ATP World Tour Finals champion was flying to visit his sick father yesterday before heading for Bratislava to play in an exhibition match tomorrow against Slovakia's Martin Klizan. Later in the week he will travel to Rio de Janeiro, where he will play another exhibition match, against the former French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten, as well as a football match alongside some Brazilian legends.
Only then will the 25-year-old Serb take a holiday "in a very tropical, very beautiful place, with no racket, no nothing, no tennis, just trying to recharge my batteries".
Djokovic finished his season in remarkable fashion, beating Roger Federer 7-6, 7-5 in a thrilling final at London's O2 Arena on Monday night despite continuing concerns about his father, Srdjan, who has been suffering from what is thought to be an acute respiratory illness. Last week, a Serbian source claimed that Srdjan had been flown from Belgrade to a hospital in Germany.
"Having my father fighting his own fight for health gave me extra strength that I wanted to play for him in a way," the world No 1 said after his victory over Federer. "That's one of the reasons I really gave it all in every match. This was a title for him. At a certain stage, it was very critical. We didn't know what the next day would bring. But now he's much better and he's recovering. He's still in intensive care. I'm going to visit him tomorrow and see how it goes and try to bring the trophy with me and at least make him smile."
While Djokovic has not matched 2011, when he won three Grand Slam tournaments and seven other titles, he regards what he has done this year as an even greater achievement. Having lost the world No 1 position to Federer in the summer, he regained it earlier this month and finished top of the rankings for a second year in succession.
"I actually feel even more satisfied right now than last year, even though I had an incredible 2011," he said. "Considering the circumstances that I had to face on and off the court, the expectations, all these things, I believe that this year has been even more successful for me."
Gareth Bale to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal has made 'two £100m bids this summer'
Jose Mourinho-Arsene Wenger feud is not sporting, but keeps alive raw spirit of competition - Sam Wallace
Pedro to Manchester United: Transfer news live - Angel Di Maria to PSG, John Stones to Chelsea, £100m Gareth Bale bid
Premier League 2015/16 preview: Club-by-club guide to the new season
Manchester United transfer news: Victor Valdes moved to U21 dressing room as exit looms
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale divorce: One of music industry’s most enduring couples announce split after 12 years of marriage
- 5 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality