Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray move into third round of Cincinnati Open
Thursday 16 August 2012
Top three seeds Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray moved into the third round of the Cincinnati Open with relatively comfortable straight set victories last night.
World number two Djokovic beat Italian Andreas Seppi 7-6 6-2 while Olympic gold medallist Murray strolled past American Sam Querrey 6-2 6-4. Federer crushed Russian-American journeyman Alex Bogomolov Jr 6-3 6-2.
Serb Djokovic, who won the ATP Masters tournament at Toronto last week, knew he was in for a tough test from Seppi after needing to come back from two sets down to win in five when they met in the French Open.
It was a tight affair in the first set, won on a tie-break by Djokovic, and then the five-times grand slam singles champion comfortably secured the second.
"I wasn't satisfied with my performance, I will have to play much better than this in order to go far," said the 25-year-old Djokovic.
"There were a lot of unforced errors from both of us. It wasn't a really pretty match."
Murray pulled out of Toronto last week due to concerns over his knee but he looked in good shape as he dominated Querrey.
Murray's serve was too much for his opponent and his defence was strong enough to break serve on three straight service games in the first set to gain control.
Murray said Querrey's recent run of good form had made him raise his game.
"He's had some good wins, so I was expecting a tough match. I think that helped me," said the Scotsman.
"I was very sharp right at the beginning of the match. I needed to be, and it was a good start to the tournament," he said.
The main positive for Murray was that he had no discomfort with his knee.
"It felt fine. I moved well today. It was still giving me a little bit of trouble in practice for a couple of days before the tournament, but it felt much, much better on the court today. I moved well, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem," he said.
Federer dealt with Bogomolov Jr in an hour of one-sided tennis.
"It was very fast out there and so there wasn't much chance for rallies and that can be frustrating when you are on the losing side but he put up a good fight," Federer said charitably.
American James Blake made an early exit after 22-year-old Japanese Kei Nishikori recovered from a poor first set to win 2-6 6-4 6-4.
Mardy Fish is the sole American man left in the competition. He beat Argentine Carlos Berlocq 6-3 6-1.
German Tommy Haas and Australian Lleyton Hewitt have both hinted at mini-revivals in form but their bids here ended in the second round.
Haas battled hard in the first against sixth-seeded Argentine Juan Martin del Potro but ended up losing 7-5 6-2 and Hewitt was badly out of sorts as he was crushed 6-2 6-0 by Serb Viktor Troicki.
Hector Bellerin: How saying no to Barcelona paid off for Bellerin - and Arsenal
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
'I am the president of everybody': What Sepp Blatter said after winning re-election as Fifa president
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote