Wimbldeon 2013 Diary: Bernard Tomic has his Lions crossed
Sunday 30 June 2013
There was some cross-sport, cross-code, cross-continent confusion after Bernard Tomic's third-round victory over Richard Gasquet on Saturday.
Tomic, the great hope for Australian tennis, looked crestfallen when told the Lions had been beaten. Turns out the Lions Tomic are interested in are the Aussie Rules (now there's one sport where the Aussies will always rule) outfit Brisbane Lions. But Tomic's relief at being told it was the British & Irish Lions did not last the weekend. The Lions (Brisbane version) were given a 58-point hammering overnight by Hawthorns (no idea). So that's all cleared up, then.
Laura and Andy's home tweet home
No stat is left unturned at Wimbledon. IBM has analysed Twitter numbers for the first week. Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer were the most tweeted about, with Andy Murray coming in at No 3. It's Brit one/two when it comes to positive mentions, with supposedly 44 and 37 per cent respectively of tweets about Laura Robson and Murray being pro the home hopes. Steve Darcis, Nadal's conqueror, had 17 per cent negative tweets.
Boy, oh boy, it's a poor year for the US
There has been much American gnashing of immaculately tended teeth at the failure of their men to last beyond the first week. One reporter even asked Tommy Haas if they could count the Florida-based German as one of them. There is not much succour in the junior ranks, either: the US do not have a boy in the world's top 20 or a seed here. Played three lost three was their record on day one of the boys' singles; today their highest ranked player, the Macedonian-born Stefan Kozlov, world No 21, takes on Britain's Joshua Sapwell.
* Wimbledon 2013 is just one slip from a record year. On Saturday Igor Sijsling became the 13th player to pull out through injury – one more withdrawal and it will exceed the previous worst year, 2008.
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police