The winners of the iQuiz first round
Wednesday 28 November 2012
It was a blistering night of vital trivia in 18 student unions across Britain yesterday, as more than a hundred teams took part in the inaugural iQuiz.
Set by The Independent's indisputed master of the obscure Simon O'Hagan, the quiz bamboozled some of the country's finest minds across 50 fiendish questions. And with a once-in-a-lifetime road trip across the country to play for, the stakes couldn't be higher.
This being the preliminary round, the winning team of four from each city will be put through to a grand final in the new year - venue TBC - in which all 18 teams will duke it out with their minds to be crowned iQuiz champions, and get their hands on that fabulous two-week holiday.
The winning teams are as follows:
- Birmingham – 50% more moustache
- Bournemouth – Severe Clever Warning
- Cardiff – Toby’s Kids
- Durham – Have ‘i’ Got Answers For You
- East Anglia – Three lefts don't make a right
- Exeter - Quizlamic Extremists
- Kent – Merry Quizmas
- Lancaster – Wingman
- Leeds – Jon Burgundy and the Channel 4 News Team
- Loughborough – Come back to my Dungeon
- Newcastle – If Carlsberg did quiz teams
- Nottingham – The Utensils
- Oxford – Paxman's Angels
- Plymouth – Robbin’s Raiders
- Sheffield – iQuiz Good
- Southampton – The Scrambled Eggheads
- Sussex – Universally Challenged
- Warwick – God works in Quizterious ways
Congratulations to all the winners - we'll see you next year!
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
- 1 This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
- 2 Homeless man playing piano in Florida becomes instant online sensation with public performance
- 3 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 4 San Francisco TV news crew attacked by armed robbers during live broadcast
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
£18 - 23k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Marketing Executive / Assistant is n...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider to the fa...
£25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful & reputable global business is l...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: At SThree, we like to be differe...