It was a blistering night of vital trivia in 18 student unions across Britain yesterday, as more than a hundred teams took part in the inaugural iQuiz.
Set by The Independent's indisputed master of the obscure Simon O'Hagan, the quiz bamboozled some of the country's finest minds across 50 fiendish questions. And with a once-in-a-lifetime road trip across the country to play for, the stakes couldn't be higher.
This being the preliminary round, the winning team of four from each city will be put through to a grand final in the new year - venue TBC - in which all 18 teams will duke it out with their minds to be crowned iQuiz champions, and get their hands on that fabulous two-week holiday.
The winning teams are as follows:
- Birmingham – 50% more moustache
- Bournemouth – Severe Clever Warning
- Cardiff – Toby’s Kids
- Durham – Have ‘i’ Got Answers For You
- East Anglia – Three lefts don't make a right
- Exeter - Quizlamic Extremists
- Kent – Merry Quizmas
- Lancaster – Wingman
- Leeds – Jon Burgundy and the Channel 4 News Team
- Loughborough – Come back to my Dungeon
- Newcastle – If Carlsberg did quiz teams
- Nottingham – The Utensils
- Oxford – Paxman's Angels
- Plymouth – Robbin’s Raiders
- Sheffield – iQuiz Good
- Southampton – The Scrambled Eggheads
- Sussex – Universally Challenged
- Warwick – God works in Quizterious ways
Congratulations to all the winners - we'll see you next year!