The winners of the iQuiz first round
Wednesday 28 November 2012
It was a blistering night of vital trivia in 18 student unions across Britain yesterday, as more than a hundred teams took part in the inaugural iQuiz.
Set by The Independent's indisputed master of the obscure Simon O'Hagan, the quiz bamboozled some of the country's finest minds across 50 fiendish questions. And with a once-in-a-lifetime road trip across the country to play for, the stakes couldn't be higher.
This being the preliminary round, the winning team of four from each city will be put through to a grand final in the new year - venue TBC - in which all 18 teams will duke it out with their minds to be crowned iQuiz champions, and get their hands on that fabulous two-week holiday.
The winning teams are as follows:
- Birmingham – 50% more moustache
- Bournemouth – Severe Clever Warning
- Cardiff – Toby’s Kids
- Durham – Have ‘i’ Got Answers For You
- East Anglia – Three lefts don't make a right
- Exeter - Quizlamic Extremists
- Kent – Merry Quizmas
- Lancaster – Wingman
- Leeds – Jon Burgundy and the Channel 4 News Team
- Loughborough – Come back to my Dungeon
- Newcastle – If Carlsberg did quiz teams
- Nottingham – The Utensils
- Oxford – Paxman's Angels
- Plymouth – Robbin’s Raiders
- Sheffield – iQuiz Good
- Southampton – The Scrambled Eggheads
- Sussex – Universally Challenged
- Warwick – God works in Quizterious ways
Congratulations to all the winners - we'll see you next year!
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
£25000 - £29000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have be...
£23500 - £25000 per annum + Training: Ashdown Group: Graduate Data analyst/Sys...
£16000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Graduate Account Manager is r...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Account Man...