The winners of the iQuiz first round
Wednesday 28 November 2012
It was a blistering night of vital trivia in 18 student unions across Britain yesterday, as more than a hundred teams took part in the inaugural iQuiz.
Set by The Independent's indisputed master of the obscure Simon O'Hagan, the quiz bamboozled some of the country's finest minds across 50 fiendish questions. And with a once-in-a-lifetime road trip across the country to play for, the stakes couldn't be higher.
This being the preliminary round, the winning team of four from each city will be put through to a grand final in the new year - venue TBC - in which all 18 teams will duke it out with their minds to be crowned iQuiz champions, and get their hands on that fabulous two-week holiday.
The winning teams are as follows:
- Birmingham – 50% more moustache
- Bournemouth – Severe Clever Warning
- Cardiff – Toby’s Kids
- Durham – Have ‘i’ Got Answers For You
- East Anglia – Three lefts don't make a right
- Exeter - Quizlamic Extremists
- Kent – Merry Quizmas
- Lancaster – Wingman
- Leeds – Jon Burgundy and the Channel 4 News Team
- Loughborough – Come back to my Dungeon
- Newcastle – If Carlsberg did quiz teams
- Nottingham – The Utensils
- Oxford – Paxman's Angels
- Plymouth – Robbin’s Raiders
- Sheffield – iQuiz Good
- Southampton – The Scrambled Eggheads
- Sussex – Universally Challenged
- Warwick – God works in Quizterious ways
Congratulations to all the winners - we'll see you next year!
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
- 1 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 2 Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
- 3 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 4 Walter Palmer: Cecil the lion killer revealed to be American dentist
- 5 The lesser known erogenous zones - and how to find them
£65 - £75 per day + competitive rates: AER Teachers: This central London prima...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Are you a recent graduate loo...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £35K: SThree: At SThree, we like to be differe...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: At SThree, we like to be differe...