50 things to do before you leave university
Monday 02 July 2012
University is a very special time in your life. There are some incredible opportunities for personal growth. And also for being very, very silly. Studentbeans is all about this (plus, of course, the freebies, discounts and money saving - join now, it's free!) - so they've created this handy list to work through before you leave uni. How many have you already done?
In light of this article, one brave idiot decided actually to attempt to do all 50 of these tasks over the course of his third year at university. You can follow his escapades here:
- Doing the 50: One man's attempt to do 50 things we said all students should do
- Doing the 50: 'I don't like to talk about my charity work...'
- Doing the 50: (Please don't) come dine with me
- Doing the 50: There ain't no party like an entirely sober conga-line in Sheffield on a Wednesday night
- Doing the 50: I would do anything to finish this list... but I won't hand an essay in on time
- Doing the 50: The devil makes work for idle minds
- Doing the 50: 'Epic banter', slightly less epic karaoke and still no actual studying...
- Doing the 50: Down and out in Edinburgh
- Doing the 50: Flattery will get you everywhere
- Doing the 50: How to finish with a whimper, not a bang
1. Feed the campus wildlife
2. Have an epic karaoke night at your house using just YouTube, booze, and your natural star quality
3. Go on a date with someone you would normally say no to - give them a chance
4. Hand in an essay early
5. Busk on campus for a charity (even if you have zero talent)
6. Teach someone something
7. Read a book that isn't study-related
8. Hire a bike for a week and see how it works out for you
9. Study in every library that exists at your university (like you're ‘on tour' - but studying)
10. Drive to a beach. Swim. (If your uni is miles away from the coast, you'll just have to stay over)
11. Make your own booze
12. Go to a university sports team's game. Get vocal and animated with your support.
13. Have an incredibly elaborate picnic on a uni green space one lunch time
14. Sit in on a lecture that's completely out of your field, but that you've always been fascinated by
15. Join a society for something you've always wanted to do, but never got round to
16. Apply for internships and jobs
17. Turn up at a 9 am lecture along with all the other students dressed in your PJs and dressing gowns
18. Go to the careers office and speak to them completely honestly - whatever your thoughts and fears, loves and hates...
19. Go on a weekend country jaunt with friends - get as remote as possible
20. Start a conga at a big union night. See how long you can get it, before leading it as far from the music as possible (if you can get it to a house party or another club night, you can officially retire from doing stuff. Your work here is done)
21. Go and see the art departments' end of year shows
22. Go to a play put on by the drama department or a uni society
23. Get involved in a play or some kind of performance (e.g. fashion show, etc.)
24. Visit all historical building and monuments in your town (including churches)
25. Go out sober and dance all night (at least once, repeat as required)
26. Swim in a fountain (campus if possible, town will do)
27. Go paddling on a hot day
28. Hold your own Come Dine With Me with other student houses
29. Take part in a protest
30. Write in to the uni radio station or newspaper
31. Dress up! As a fictional character, an animal - anything
32. If you think a lecture was particularly good, try and instigate a standing ovation
33. Do something – anything! – silly, for charity
34. Give your parents a in depth tour of all the great stuff you do and love at University (It'll make for an amazing trip for them, and make them feel happy whenever they think of you at uni)
35. Have a sleepover
36. Play an elaborate prank on a housemate
37. Win a pub quiz (whatever it takes)
38. Make a kite and fly it
39. Have an 80s montage house cleaning session, with appropriate outfits and music blaring
40. Go on a blind date
41. Find out the names of all those people you know far too well to not know their names
42. Dye your hair
43. Sleep out under the stars
44. Make a movie starring your friends and your favourite places
45. Celebrate something by doing the classic shake up a bottle of champagne and spraying it all over yourself and everywhere (or at least do it with sparkling wine..!)
46. Make friends with a student from a country you've never known someone from or been to before
47. Go inside (and have a little explore of) every building that is part of the university
48. Become a wise mentor for a Fresher doing your course. Tell them what you wish you'd known
49. Learn a new sport or instrument or activity that you never thought you would
50. Get loads of discounts, free things and cool stuff by joining the UK's largest student money saving club studentbeans.com, of course!
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 Prince Harry leaving the armed forced to pursue conservation projects in Africa
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Graduate/Trainee Sales Executive is re...
£22000 - £23000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Graduate Graphic Designer...
£22000 - £23000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Graduate Front-End Develo...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...