Album review: Lara Downes, Exiles' Cafe (Steinway & Sons)
Exiles' Cafe was inspired by hearing Michael Sahl's “Tango from the Exiles' Cafe”, after which Lara Downes fantasised the location as a source of comfort for transplanted composers, represented by this series of piano miniatures.
They can be location specific, as with Bartók's quizzically graceful “Hungarian Folksongs from the Csík District” and Rachmaninov's “Prelude in D minor”, one of the last pieces written prior to his exile; or more sentimental – the wistful homesickness of Chopin's “Mazurka in F sharp minor”, and Kurt Weill's “Lost in the Stars”, saturated with yearning. Especially moving is Prokofiev's “Pastoral Sonatina in C major”, written a year before his return to Russia after 20 years away.
Download: Mazurka in F sharp minor; Lost in the Stars; Pastoral Sonatina in C major
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments