Cultural Life: Michael landy, artist
Friday 02 October 2009
I am very happy because 'America's Next Top Model' is the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th series – I can't tell it's always the same and the girls are interchangeable. I love Jay Manuel also known as "Mister Jay", but shhhh don't tell Gillian. Britain's top model, Australia's top model, Canada's top model they're all rubbish – only the Americans can pull off the top model.
I am looking forward to seeing Gustav Metzger's show at The Serpentine. I am interested to see what an auto-destructive artist will come up with.
I recently watched Alan Clarke's 'Elephant' (1989) again, no script or anything... boom boom you're dead.
John Scanlon's book on Garbage addresses reasons why we find rubbish (which is a by-product of ourselves) so abhorrent. I also like the book 'The Destruction of Art: Iconoclasm and Vandalism since the French Revolution' by Dario Gamboni. I like the fact that the cleaners seem to be the final adjudicators on what is rubbish – having had my work thrown away by gallery cleaners this book has a resonance.
'Joyous Machines: Michael Landy and Jean Tinguely' at Tate Liverpool, until 10 January 2010
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow