In pictures: Static - layered art from London's East End
Tuesday 22 May 2012
The idea that visual art is only what can be spread flat across a canvas is one that has long since been abandoned. With sculpture and large-scale installations, the 2D print has become not so much outdated, but rather had to give up its monopoly over the art world and make way for more innovative uses of space.
East End duo Static, comprised of young artists Tom and Craig, takes on this notion of the flat versus the three-dimensional to create works mixing screen printing and stenciling on layers of glass, Perspex and aluminium, and toying with light, reflection and transparency, resulting in 'floating' images.
Static is exhibiting its latest collection 'Whispers of Clarity' at Whisper in Fitzrovia, London until 26 May, which will involve the duo's signature layered works, as well as a variety of live art events. All images are available to purchase from Whisper.
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
X Factor winners: Where are they now?
Dancing on Ice 2014 line-up revealed
Ben Whishaw to play Freddie Mercury in Dexter Fletcher film
Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat: Peter Capaldi is worlds away from Malcolm Tucker
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >