Portfolio: James O Jenkins
What do a pearly queen at the Harvest Festival and an Eton boy covered in mud from the school's Wall Game have in common? The answer, for James O Jenkins, is Britain's gloriously idiosyncratic customs.
"I didn't want to shoot [these annual customs] as reportage, though," says the photographer. "I wanted to focus on the people, their faces and what they were wearing, so I took them away from their performances to shoot portraits."
His subjects range from men in vests who take part in Cumberland and Westmorland wrestling to the Queen's swan marker, whose task at the "Swan Upping" is to count the mute swans on the Thames. As Jenkins says, "They're from different backgrounds, but share a sense of communal celebration."
But what motivated him to seek these people? "I see Britain photographed by my peers and it's mostly really negative. I know there are socio-economic problems out there, but these celebratory aspects of British life are overlooked – and I found them invigorating."
'United Kingdom' is available to buy at jamesojenkins.co.uk, priced £28
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >