The Lowry debate: Brian Sewell and Howard Jacobson face off
Thursday 19 February 2009
Known for once referring to artist L.S.Lowry as "a nincompoop", critic Brian Sewell faced up to Manchester-born broadcaster and novelist Howard Jacobson in this year's Lowry debate, which took place at the South Bank Centre in London. In a wide-ranging conversation which took in the life and works of Lowry and his critical reception, the two panellists found much to disagree on over the course of a high-spirited debate.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.